AIAG & VDA Design FMEA: Understanding and Implementing
This course will assist you in the execution of Design FMEAs using the new AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook.
Technical risk mitigation is crucial for business sustainability during this era of high-speed adoption of technology innovation affecting all automotive systems, subsystems, and components. There is a general recognition of the urgent need for conducting effective Design Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (DFMEA). This challenge cannot be addressed without a robust methodology. This makes the new AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook a critical update for the industry. The concept of robustness exists throughout all sections of the new DFMEA development approach, which is presented in the new AIAG & VDA Handbook. The Handbook contains a structured method for identifying products’ functions and their potential failure modes.
After attending this course, you gain the ability to describe the benefits of a robust technical risk analysis using the DFMEA development approach described in the AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook, execute a DFMEA applying the 7-Step approach, evaluate the consistency in DFMEA application, measure the effectiveness and efficiency of DFMEA within your organization, and develop an Implementation Plan for your organization to adopt the AIAG & VDA FMEA.
For training delivered on-site at your organization, a one (1) day add-on Application Coaching Workshop service is available (i.e. facilitated development of a partial FMEA based on the Implementation Plan).
- Describe the benefits of a robust technical risk analysis using the DFMEA development approach described in the AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook
- Apply the 7-Step approach in the execution of an actual DFMEA
- Evaluate the consistency of DFMEA application cases
- Measure DFMEA effectiveness, efficiency, and linkage to the Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)
- Develop an Implementation Plan for the AIAG & VDA FMEA
Who Should Attend
Recommended for Core Design FMEA Team to include design engineers, system engineers, component engineers, test engineers, quality/reliability engineers, project managers, FMEA moderators/facilitators, auditors, and other product design roles with a limited working knowledge and background with AIAG Design FMEA.
- Overview of FMEA Foundations based on the new AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook.
- Applying 7-Step approach - a instrumental, integrated with lessons learned, and error-proofing driven method to develop FMEAs
- DFMEA 1st Step – Planning and Preparation.
- DFMEA 2nd Step – Structure Analysis.
- DFMEA 3rd Step – Function Analysis.
- DFMEA 4th Step – Failure Analysis.
- DFMEA 5th Step – Risk Analysis.
- DFMEA 6th Step – Optimization.
- DFMEA 7th Step – Communication
- Design FMEA and Process FMEA Linkages
- Perform a Design FMEA prepared using the new AIAG & VDA FMEA Handbook
- Evaluating DFMEA applications cases
- Introduction to FMEA for Monitoring and System Response (FMEA-MSR): Importance and applicability
- DFMEA effectiveness, efficiency, and linkage to the Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ)
- Implementation Plan for the AIAG & VDA FMEA